Select Business Unit Agent
This position will effectively meet set sales goals for the Small Business Unit. This position will qualify and sell to in-bound prospects solicited by the agent. This position will service small business commercial lines accounts as assigned, rate and quote new and renewal risks, aid in collections, and review accounts in an effort to prevent gaps and/or lapses in coverage, thus reducing our E&O exposures; while maintaining excellent service to clients. This position will carry the agency’s reputation and professional manner of conducting business into the dealings with prospects and the carriers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Qualify and sell to in-bound prospects provided by the agency.
- Make outbound calls to member of the trade associations that HIA has the endorsement. There will be approximately 50 calls a week to determine if they would be interested in a quote from the program endorsed by their association.
- Refer accounts above SBU threshold to appropriate producer.
- Log new business calls into the agency management system, determine and document the source of the lead, then proceed to quoting or refer to producer of over SBU commission.
- Solicit referrals from existing agency accounts and x-dates from sources other than those provided after approval by agency management.
- Cross-sell and account-round the SBU and SV books of business using marketing campaigns and carrier assistance programs.
- Consolidate SBU and SV books of business for profitability
- Maintain service standards appropriate to book of business.
- Assist in resolving any problems in accounting, engineering, or claims for accounts produced.
- Support and enhance standing of office personnel with clients.
- Coordinate timely presentations for new business.
- Market accounts according to agency guidelines, procedures, and workflows with carriers selected for this unit.
- Coordinate with SBU Account Manager for successful handoff of accounts for completion of bound business.
- Complete the binding, invoicing, premium collection, and file documentation of assigned accounts per the established agency procedures
- Keep management fully informed of all important activities on the accounts including being sensitive to potential problems, as appropriate
- Prepare monthly reports for the following: Call in sources for each niche, # of accounts referred to producer, # disqualified, # quoted, # bound. The report will include new and account rounding for the unit. A report will also be prepared for new accounts, premium, carrier the coverage was placed with, and identify if it is in the service center.
New Business Responsibilities
- Make the sale and gather/collect the necessary deposit and required forms to bind coverage. Secure coverage with the carrier and successfully turn over to the SBU Account Manager for complete binders, certificates, invoicing, etc.
- Design and execute marketing plans to meet select business unit sales goals, by niche.
- Expected to meet the monthly minimum new business commission goals set by management.
- Acquire enough information to complete applications, loss runs or letters, questionnaires, photos, diagrams, grading of risk, etc. for new business marketing.
- Be available for communication with underwriter, loss control, etc.
- Present the proposal in a professional manner, explaining coverage and payment terms etc
- Provide Account/Marketing Account Manager with details necessary to bind and issue policies.
- Maintain prospect database and list distribution from databases including D&B marketplace, association directories and TAM.
- Maintain log of all activities including lead referral source data in TAM.
- Every Friday follow-up on outstanding quotes to see if the prospect has any additional questions or has made a decision to secure coverage.
- Maintain knowledge of underwriting criteria for carriers represented by the agency.
- Research carriers in the marketplace for competitive arrangements in order to capitalize on our income opportunities for the agency.
- Select carriers for submission of risk to various markets.
- Meet with small business underwriters and representatives from the carriers to learn more about new and existing products, rating systems, give feedback to them and monitor our goals with those carriers’ small business units.
Account Service Responsibilities
- Assist in the service of accounts in the absence of SBU Account Manager
- Arrange for payment of premiums in a competent manner utilizing company financing, installments, etc.
- Assist in collecting earned premiums, audit premiums, etc. if called upon.
Must follow all agency workflows, guidelines, and procedures including, but not limited to the contents of the Associate Handbook. Must immediately report all malfunctions of The Agency Manager software (TAM) and any other hardware, software, system or equipment to the appropriate individual.
- This job description is intended to describe the level of work required of the person performing the job.
- Essential functions are outlined; other duties may be assigned as needs arise or as required to support the agency’s essential functions.
- This description is not intended as a contract and is subject to unilateral change and revision by management
- All requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate physically or mentally challenged employees.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and/or LICENSING
Texas Property and Casualty Agent License issued by the Texas Department of Insurance. CIC designated candidate preferred. Some college coursework.
Must be deemed to effectively speak, read, write, and effectively comprehend English.
Bilingual skills are required/preferred (English/Spanish).
Must posses basic math skills. Ability to perform these basic operations using units of American money and weight measurement, and volume.
Ability to calculate premiums based on exposures and rates. Ability to apply payments and/or refunds to specific invoices and item numbers.
Conduct business in a professional manner at all times both inside and outside of the office. Teamwork environment.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to anticipate and resolve future problems before they occur. Ability to solicit assistance when necessary. Ability to problem solve beyond conventional solutions (think outside of the box). To think and act at all time in the best interest of the Agency, Customer, and Carrier.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to operate computer keyboard and telephone. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works in a typical office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.